Monday, February 27, 2012

The City Different

"It strikes you the first time you see The City Different. When city officials came up with that name early last century, they got it exactly right. For rarely does a place speak to so many people on so many levels."



So we are half way into our road trip home! Twice in just a few months that I've driven from Memphis to San Diego!! I love road trips so much though. I especially love them when I get to see my favorite place, Santa Fe, NM AGAIN :) I know I have only been twice, but there really isn't anything I don't love about this place. I wanted to share some of my favorite pictures from the day: (some of them didn't turn out as good on here as they look on my iPhone...guess that's what I get for not having a good camera)


Museum of Contemporary Native Arts. This might have been my favorite place we visited.  Nick and I wanted to go when we came, but it was closed. I also got in free with military id, score! 


"It was the year I got STONED!"

He is made out of American Spirit cigarette boxes, Land O Lake wrappers and match boxes. AND his jeans are real.




Pottery Belly, 2010

Strawberry Belly, 2011

Fancy Basket Belly, 2011

Rattles are spiritually sacred instruments used by the majority of North American Indians. They are used in religious ceremonies, rituals, feasts, healing ceremonies and social dances.






The Prophecy series was my favorite in the museum. 


This might be hard to read, but it gives a background to his work. Peter Jones, the artist, writes about the Mayan Prophecy that we all know too well, "The end of the world is a concept that our minds struggle to understand. Some people take it as inevitable "gods will" and resign themselves to the forecast outcomes. He also writes about another prophecy in the Iroquois culture where the world ends in 2020. The predictions are spelled out in the words of the "GaiWio"-- the good word.

"In creating the works presented in this exhibition Prophecy, I chose to represent those predictions that provide me with a visual realization that could be interpreted in clay. I want to show these prophecies as a matter of fact, take it or leave it, kind of way. This is how they are presented in the gaiwio. It is up to us to determine and witness the truth of these statements."


"In that time every poisonous creature will appear. These creatures the creator imprisoned in the underworld"


"some will enter into sleep when they lie down they will be health and as they sleep the creator will withdraw their lived for they are true."


"When the end comes the earth will be destroyed by fire and no one upon it will escape."



"Two drops, on red and one yellow, suspended as if about to fall. Should one of these drops fall it would bring great calamity upon the earth."


"A time will come when a great plague will kill many people and no on will know it's cause."




San Miguel Church-the oldest operating church. 


The oldest house in the USA.










We ended up with a suite--which was awesome for Kingston to have play space. The "Santa Fe Room"

One of the great things about Santa Fe is the shopping. The Plaza is full of shops that has amazing, gorgeous, authentic, insanely priced items! Nick and I bought a couple awesome pieces that I never posted last time we were here. This go around we discovered Tin-Nee-Ann on Cerrillos Road. They have the same gorgeous things the plaza has, but for a fractions of the price! I spent an hour in there and kinda have an itch to go back before we leave in the morning. Here are a few of the purchases I made there...I think I could definitely use more pottery (especially for fifty percent off!)




 If the shopping and art don't do it for you...the food will! This restaurant looked delicious--and I loved the door and paint.


Me at the Burrito Cafe. We ate here for lunch. It was a cute little place, not the best in the world. But did have amazing avocado and chicken sandwich & great staff. 

Dinner was a different story...Rooftop Pizzeria. MUST try this place


Blue corn crust with basil pesto sauce. Avocado, artichoke hearts, mushrooms and sundried tomatoes. YUM.

They had New Mexico microbrews on tap. I tried Marble Amber Ale. I wanted to try the Marble Oatmeal Stout for my second...but the Amber Ale was good I didn't want to ruin it, so I stuck with that for round two. If it weren't for the grandparents I think I would have tried all four Marbles. They had some delicious and interesting sounding bottles that I had never tried as well...

even the water fountains are pretty here :)
Tomorrow morning we are off to Sedona, AZ. I am really excited to get there. I keep hearing amazing things about it. After that we should hopefully be in San Diego late Wednesday!! 

xoxo
lkgb


No comments:

Post a Comment